Thursday, April 29, 2010

Update on Metals Final Project




So I have started on my project and have changed it up a bit since my last post. Instead of doing a round or oval shape I decided to do a square shape. Part of this decision change was spurred by our hinge demo in class. Soldering a hinge to a circular plane would have been much more time consuming and difficult so I changed the design to something with flat sides to make less work for myslef. I actully like the square better anyways. It works better with the design I wanted on the top of the locket. I was going to have to cut out my own dye in acrylic and use the hydrolic press, but while I was talking with my teacher and she was showing me one of her dyes as an example and it was the exact size and shape of what I wanted so she let me use it. It was an antique jewlers dye. She was very adamant about me using it carefully. It was amazing how fast and perfect they turned out. I decided to use sterling silver for the backing and brass for the front. That way when you look through the brass the silver is shinning through. Here are some pictures of how is is going so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment